In early December, we sent you, our subscribers, an
advance story on the capsizing of the liveaboard Sea
Story; 11 people are either dead or missing. Since then,
more of the story has unfolded, so here is the fully
updated story, a serious caution about Egyptian wooden-
hulled liveaboards.
* * * *
In the early hours of Monday, November 25, the
Red Sea liveaboard MY Sea Story crew issued a brief
distress call before the vessel capsized in heavy seas. An
older vessel, rebuilt and renamed in 2022, with added
decks, the 144-foot-long Egyptian liveaboard
had 18 twin cabins. It carried
30 passengers and 14-16 crew including
dive guides (crew numbers provided
vary) when it left the Port Ghalib marina
near Marsa Alam the day before. It was
due to disembark its divers in Hurghada
nearly a week later.
The Egyptian Navy arrived on site
about eight hours after they received the
distress call, and, together with another passing dive
boat, recovered 28 people from the water in the Wadi
el-Gemal area. All were taken to a resort at Marsa
Alam for medical care. The Egyptian navy warship El
Fateh, aided by aircraft, continued searching for survivors.
Some survivors said the vessel capsized and went
under in a few minutes; others said the wreckage was
floating at the surface, inverted at an angle. Rescue
divers reported hearing knocking sounds coming from
the wreckage, meaning people were still trapped inside after the initial rescue. Five additional survivors were
miraculously rescued by divers who found them breathing
from an eight-inch air pocket in a cabin inside the
partly submerged hull, more than 30 hours later.
From the beginning, there were knocking sounds
coming from the wreckage. No one has said why
the Navy did not let the would-be rescuers into the
upturned vessel until the following day.
|
"Five additional survivors were miraculously
rescued by divers who found them breathing from
an eight-inch air pocket in a cabin inside the
partly submerged hull, more than 30 hours later."
|
Four other bodies have been recovered. At least,
seven other people including the captain remain missing
presumed drowned. The divers on board included
American, British, Spanish, German, Slovakian, Swiss,
Belgian, Polish, Norwegian, Irish, Finnish, and Chinese
nationals. Egyptian-based Dive Pro operated the Sea
Story. It also operates Tillis and Coral Dream, and it operated
Sea Legend, which sank with one life lost after a fire
in February.
Unusually Bad Weather?
The Red Sea, positioned between two deserts, is
infamous among mariners for its low swell but violently
rough waves. It is a major route between the Indian
Ocean and the Suez and has one of the world's busiest
shipping lanes. Though commercial ships rarely
go down in rough weather, climate change is causing
storms to be stronger than ever.
But Egyptian liveaboards have been beset with disasters.
Fires, capsizes, and reef collisions have led to the
recent demise of several different liveaboards.
So, what happened to the Sea Story? We can only
offer conjecture and supposition for now since Egyptian
authorities continue to be evasive. The regional Red
Sea governor, Major General Amr Hanafi, "ruled out
that there was a technical defect to the ship and that
all the required licenses had been obtained for the Sea
Story."
Most Egyptian-built Red Sea liveaboards have wooden
hulls, which draw less water than similar steel-hulled
vessels, making them less stable in a rough sea. The Sea
Story was a vessel with four layers of superstructure, so it
tended to roll a lot. There is no evidence it hit a reef.
To provide context for the prevailing weather, the
previous Friday, the Iraqi-owned freighter VSG Glory ran aground in bad weather near the Movenpick Resort,
100 miles north of Marsa Alam. It had been traveling
north for a month after leaving Yemen, rarely able to
make more than three knots because the weather was so
bad.
Two days later, on Sunday, Hurghada port authorities
shut down operations due to worsening weather,
predicting 16-foot waves. Yet, the Sea Story, with its
divers, departed from the Port Ghalib marina. About
a month before, in similar conditions, the 100-foot liveaboard
MY Seaduction set sail, came to grief, and sank on
October 24 with no fatalities. (Undercurrent November)
A Sea Story survivor, who wishes to remain anonymous,
told Undercurrent, "We all thought [at first] it was
a large wave that caused the capsizing [see initial news
reports]. But now we know better." The Sea Story had
been towing a Zodiac, but in the harsh seas, the tow
line parted. The crew boarded their second Zodiac to
retrieve the first. The liveaboard hove-to at that time for
a short while, a couple of hours before capsizing. Was
Sea Story making a tight turn when it became 'beam on'
to the wind and waves? A vessel leans when it turns and
at that point is at its most vulnerable. Our informant
tells us, "That was highly unlikely. It was sailing in a following
sea and lost its stability on a wave crest."
Most passengers were in their cabins; those who
suffer mal-de-mer often go to their below-deck cabins,
where they experience less motion. The crew were
probably hanging on in the above decks. They were the
lucky ones. Some furniture was not fixed to the floor,
and would have slid to one side, giving further momentum
to capsizing.
|
"It had an insufficient number of life rafts,
inadequate navigation equipment, and no AIS,
which vessels use to avoid collisions at sea and
enables tracking by third parties."
|
What the Experts Say
Experts from The Yacht Report (formerly Superyacht
News), a YouTube channel that reports on worldwide
yacht incidents, point out that although the Sea Story
was recently rebuilt, it had an insufficient number of
life rafts, inadequate navigation equipment, and no
AIS, which vessels use to avoid collisions at sea and
enables tracking by third parties. (While this is mandatory
for IMO-registered passenger vessels of this size,
it wasn't registered with the International Maritime
Organization, as are most commercial vessels.)
Working from photographs of Sea Story, The Yacht
Report suggested no inert gas fire-fighting equipment was
in the engine room, which demonstrates a lack of safety
concern. It had no radar evident. The wheelhouse
appeared equipped with little more than a simple magnetic
compass and a steering wheel.
The low $1500 price for a 6-night trip may suggest
cutting corners, not only in equipment but the quality
and size of the crew.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxf2p6V2Oo
Tony Backhurst, a well-regarded tour operator, now
retired, who ran Red Sea charters, offered scathing criticism:
"It's simply people not knowing their job. Why
would anyone schedule a trip that needs to punch north
(to Hurghada) with regularly heavy seas at that time
of year? Trips don't get canceled due to bad weather
because passengers need to get flights. I never ran oneway
charters for that reason. They also had too many
passengers packed in a poorly designed boat."
|
"Fires, capsizes, and reef collisions have led to
the recent demise of several different liveaboards."
|
An experienced liveaboard designer and captain,
Frank Van Der Linde, told Undercurrent, "I read about
16-foot waves. Why would a captain go out with a vessel
[in weather] like that?"
Freddy Storheil, a Norwegian Red Sea veteran operator
for 18 years who sailed his steel-hulled ketch Colona
II around the world twice, offered, "A boat like Sea Story
should not just fall over. There was not enough ballast
[for stability], I think."
David Wright, another Red Sea liveaboard operator
from the '80s and '90s, observed, "These [Egyptian]
boats look great but are made of pine wood, lack correct
calculated ballast, lack watertight bulkhead doors,
and buoyancy calculations, [and have] stored oxygen
onboard - so there are serious risks."
And before anyone suggests that 19th-century navies
sailed the world with wooden boats, I'll point out they
were constructed with heavy prehistoric oak from forests
that no longer exist!
We may never get all the facts. Sea Story's operator,
Dive Pro, in Hurghada, refused to answer inquiries
from an Associated Press reporter and no longer
responds to inquiries, even from the survivors.
It's All About Money
In the mid-'90s, the Egyptians entered the diving
liveaboard market, charging half the price charged by
incumbent foreign operators. Few Egyptian liveaboards,
if any, are SOLAS-compliant or built to any international
standards. (SOLAS sets international safety
standards for life at sea.) They may meet local Egyptian
regulations, but those are for vessels that operate close
to shore.
It's a common story of poorly trained crews, the
hubris of boat captains, non-functioning smoke detectors,
no emergency drills, no muster stations, and no
visible fire extinguishers, and very often, in times of
disaster, it's the guests themselves who initiate evacuation
and rescue other guests.
|
"After a succession of disasters, this tragedy with
many lost lives might finally propel the Egyptian
government toward meaningful regulation and regular
inspection of these liveaboards."
|
Sadly, the low costs are driven by divers looking for
bargains. Some operators elsewhere in the world have
often told Undercurrent that safety issues never seem to
matter much to most travel agents and divers booking
low-cost dive trips. Low revenues in Egypt mean that
back-to-back operations are essential to profitability;
these vessels cannot afford cancellations and passenger
refunds due to weather. But safety isn't sexy. Bargain
liveaboard trips are.
Alex Bryant of Emperor Divers, which has several
liveaboards in Egypt and elsewhere, told Undercurrent,
"The fact that the Governor of the Red Sea region had
to be personally involved means that they are taking this
incident, and the future of the industry, more seriously.
Let's hope that continues, and we can get to a higher
standard across the board."
In an extraordinary intervention by the UK government,
concerned about the British fatalities, the government
announced, "From the evidence the British
Marine Accidents Investigation Branch has obtained so
far, there is cause for serious concern about the safety of
some of the Egyptian dive boats operating in the Red
Sea. The UK government is seeking full participation in
Egyptian investigations."
Perhaps, just perhaps, after a succession of disasters,
this tragedy with many lost lives might finally propel
the Egyptian government toward meaningful regulation
and regular inspection of these liveaboards. In
the meantime, Egyptian port authorities are currently
enforcing the rule that liveaboards operating in the Red
Sea must have two captains, one of whom must hold
a Master Mariner's license, and two suitably qualified
marine mechanics as part of the crew. Vessels are currently
being stopped from leaving port and their dive
trips canceled for lack of such qualified crews. It's a
move that won't help with systemic design flaws though.
This account of the sinking has been reviewed by a surviving
passenger and has been checked to the best of his knowledge and
belief. It has been modified slightly and added to since the Special
Report formerly sent out by email.
- John Bantin