The 2018 Travelin' Diver's Chapbook -- Our December Issue
Undercurrent is pleased to announce the release of our latest Chapbook!
Members Only Exclusive: 885 pages with over 600 reports on over 50 destinations worldwide, 12/2017
This book compiles all 600+ reader reports filed by Undercurrent subscribers in the last year. It's available free in 4 formats: PDF, Kindle (2 formats) and EPUB. You'll find reports from Africa to the Virgin Islands, Mexico to the Maldives, Indonesia to Vanuatu, Cayman to Cozumel, ... Detailed, honest reports that describe in detail what our subscribers experienced. All free to active subscribers. If you're not one yet, join here now -- the book itself is worth more than the $19 price of the subscription, and you get other free books as well.
Will your liveaboard's insurance cover your loss?, 11/2017
What if, as a passenger, you suffer loss or injury in some way? What if you slip down the steps of a wet companionway and break your back? Are you going to try to take the boat's operator to court, probably in some far-off country -- where most liveaboards are flagged -- with a dubious reputation for legal outcomes? Does the vessel have Protection and Indemnity insurance? Undercurrent looks at the possibilities and discovers some alarming allegations. You can read-it-for-free here. ...
Hey divers, don't eat the reef fish, 11/2017
You enjoy looking at or even interacting with the fishes on the reef, but it's not a good idea to go back to see them slashed on the barbecue. You can read-it-for-free here. ...
Editor's Pick of the month
Written by Undercurrent's publisher Ben Davison (writing as KL Smith) and set in Belize, Tropical Ice is a story of shark-finning and reef-raping, murder and politics, on an industrial scale, with plenty of diving. You'll sense a creature's eyes on a night dive, feel the sandpaper skin of a shark on your bare back, and taste the sweat dripping off your eyebrows as you push through the underbrush on Snapper Caye.
It all takes place at Cap'n Jack's Rum Caye Dive Resort, where Jack's trying to save his failing resort with shark-feeding dives, until a body turns up in the damnedest place. You'll flip pages through surprising twists and turns that keep you glued to the text, all the way to the surprising events at the end. I sure didn't see them coming.
Tropical Ice is available online from Amazon in paperback ($14.97) or Kindle ($7.99), and in bookstores.
You can order a signed copy for $18 (proceeds go to reef conservation).
Other Book Picks
From the November issue,
the entire issue or individual
and read about:
Read a sample issue:
[As Normal Web Pages] [Original PDF Version]
Latest Reader Reports
from the serious divers who read Undercurrent
Mayan Divers/Mayan Princess/Las Sirenas Report
"Mayan Divers, Mayan Princess Resort, Roatan"
filed Dec 12, 2017 by Theodore C Recupero (Experience: 501-1000 dives, 6 reports, Reviewer )
Arrived at Mayan Princess/Las Sirenas resort Saturday afternoon. Check in for 30+ divers was quick and easy. The resort is beautiful. ... ... Read more
Ocean Encounters Diving/Lions Dive and Beach Resort Report
in Curaçao/near Punda
filed Dec 8, 2017 by George Lynch (Experience: 501-1000 dives, 6 reports, Reviewer )
Very professional dive operation, but mediocre diving. Nice boats, large and comfortable, and staff very helpful and friendly. Water wa... ... Read more
Mermaid I Report
in Indonesia/Maumere to Sorong, Indonesia
"The best liveaboard I've ever experienced"
filed Dec 6, 2017 by Carol Sommers (Experience: 501-1000 dives, 7 reports, Sr. Reviewer )
The other liveaboards I've been on pale in comparison to the Mermaid operation. I booked the only single room and discovered that my sh... ... Read more
Aggressor Fleet Report
in Indonesia/Wakatobi and Alor
filed Dec 6, 2017 by David Marchese (Experience: Over 1000 dives, 9 reports, Sr. Reviewer )
This was our 4th trip to Indonesia, and our least favorite (by a lot). The diving in Wakatobi was just ok. In general, the reefs seemed... ... Read more
Ocho Rios at Jamaica Grande/Palace Resorts Jamaica Grande Report
in Jamaica/Ocho Rios
"Reefs Not Colorful And Still Plenty of Critters"
filed Dec 2, 2017 by Terri Feinblum (Experience: 501-1000 dives, 4 reports, Reviewer )
This dive shop is at the resort, which makes it very easy access if you are a guest. There is a dive shop and a building with room to... ... Read more
Undercurrent subscribers can now download
the 2017 Chapbook with over 600 reports on liveaboards/dive
resorts worldwide, or have it emailed to you, here. Additionally subscribers can generate their own Mini
Chapbooks here -- non-subscribers can also do this here.
Browse Current Issue | Browse Recent Issues
Read these free articles from past issues:
• Okeanos Aggressor II, Cocos Island, Costa Rica, 10/17
• Diving in Freezing Water? U.S. Navy Tests Flunk Some Regulators, 10/17
• Enraptured or Anxious? - You're Narked, 09/17
• Keep Goliath Groupers for Divers, 09/17
• A Hidden Killer in Our Midst, 08/17
• Tropical Ice, in paperback, 08/17
• Those Internet-Based Dive Travel Websites, 07/17
• Why Don't Some Divers Drop Weights in an Emergency?, 06/17
• Fire Aboard a Red Sea Liveaboard, 06/17
• Aldora Divers, Cozumel, Mexico, 05/17
• The Pros and Cons of Shark-Feeding Dives, 04/17
• Papua Explorers, Raja Ampat, Indonesia, 03/17
• Would You Opt For In-Water Recompression?, 02/17
• Eight-Hour Ordeal for Shark Attack Victim, Craig DeWit, 02/17
• Would You Opt For In-Water Recompression?, 01/17
• Diver Safety - It's Not Sexy!, 11/16
• Assigned a Bad Buddy?, 11/16
• Two Groups of Divers Lost Within a Week, 10/16
• Find Yourself in Deep Trouble?, 09/16
• Scuba, the Sport of Grandparents!, 08/16
• The Failure to Understand Your Computer, 08/16
• Your Dive Travel Agent and Frequent Flyer Miles, 08/16
Flotsam & Jetsam, 07/16
• A Tragically Glamorous Underwater Shoot, 07/16
• Snorkels: Love 'em or Hate 'em?, 06/16
• Fish & Fins, Palau Aggressor, Micronesia, 05/16
• Want to Dive Cuba? How Americans Do It, 04/16
• That Deep Stop Option on Your Computer, 04/16
• A Death Attributed to Rental Gear, 03/16
• Travel Agent or the Internet? Part I, 02/16
• The Shortcomings of Winged BCs, 01/16
• Class Action on Faulty Suunto Computers Continues, 01/16
Skinny on No-See-Ums, 9/07
Free Dive Articles